What happens in the brain of a deaf person when he hears for the first time?
What happens in the brain of a deaf person when he hears for the first time?
As a congenitally deaf child (who was a bit long in the tooth at 6), I had never formed the neural pathways for my brain to even begin processing auditory stimulation. In the fashion of the ostrich, my brain ignored the strange stuff, and I remained as deaf as I had been an hour prior. That would change soon enough.
“As we waited at a street corner, someone started a motorcycle down the block. Something very strange happened. I felt something more tangible and real, but totally alien. It was like something was pricking my brain deep inside my brain. My brain was burning new neural pathways for the new input, and that sort of thing doesn’t come without discomfort. It wasn’t overwhelming pain but an insistent and uncomfortable poke. My mother describes my reaction as confused panic: “You were looking all over the place, trying to figure out what was happening.” I didn’t connect the sight of someone peeling out on a motorcycle with the sensation that an alien was poking around in my brain. That connection would take time for me to make, among many others over the years.”
“And the activation of my left cochlear implant would prove to be just as different of an experience. As the audiologist began the beep sequence, I burst into tears and involuntary clenched the left side of my face. She looked up, puzzled. “Why are you crying? You’ve had this before!” she said. The pain was like sparklers going off on the left side of my head. The stimulation, as little as it was, completely overwhelmed me.
Even though I had already laid the neural pathways for auditory stimuli for my right ear, my brain was unprepared for the stimuli coming from the left side. Since my brain had already experienced this type of stimuli, it could process it, but it was still sensory overload. That stuff hurts. It took me months to acclimate myself to the new implant, but in the meantime, I cringed every time I turned it on. As I said, laying new neural pathways takes work.”
What I didn’t know was that cochlear implants don’t truly give you hearing. They create the perception of the sensation of sound by stimulating the auditory nerve using electrodes, which have a limited range of frequencies they can pick up. My perception of sound is more of a low-resolution hologram than the real stuff.